If you do have cancer and you are referred to a cancer specialist, use these tips to make your appointment as useful as possible:
- Make a list of questions to ask at the appointment. Download a list from the American Cancer Society or call them at 1-800-227-2345.
- Bring a family member or friend with you. They can serve as an extra pair of ears, help you remember things later, and give you support.
- Ask if you can record important conversations.
- Take notes. If someone uses a word you don’t know, ask them to spell it and explain it.
- Ask the doctors or nurses to explain anything you don’t understand.
Source: American Cancer Society