Seeing a palliative care or anesthesia pain specialist  You may have a palliative care or anesthesia pain specialist on your treatment team.  If not, your oncologist will likely know of a specialist in your area.  Be sure to ask your oncologist for a referral if:  Your pain is not controlled,  You have side effects from the pain medications,  You are worried about becoming addicted to the pain medications,  You would like to discuss more options to manage your pain.  You may only need to see the specialist once.  Your provider should be able to follow the specialist’s recommendations and carry out your pain management plan.  If the treatment is effective, you shouldn’t need to see the specialist again.  For a list of pain management centers and palliative care programs in your area, call the NCI toll-free at 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237) or the American Cancer Society toll-free at 1-800-ACS-2345 (1-800-227-2345).  For more information on palliative care, visit the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine website or the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) website.

Source:  Susan G. Komen  2019